Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rice Stitch Scarf

This is my seventh scarf. I tried this pattern as an alternative to ribbing. As it turns out, this is not my favorite pattern as the ribbing was not very pronounced and it took twice as long as regular ribbing. The opposite side made a quite interesting pattern, however, of which I am quite fond...I try to wear it with this side showing.
An important tool in remembering where you are when knitting this scarf is: knit on the neat side, since 'knit' and 'neat' sound a lot alike. The 'neat' side is the ribbed side. I started off with casting on then a row of knit.
I used worsted weight yarn from www.malabrigoyarn.com. The color is Malabrigo Charrua #259. It is pure merino wool, kettle dyed. I used approximately 210 yards, which is a relatively short scarf for me. There are 4-5 stitches per inch. I used size 8 US (5mm) knitting needles.
I ironed this scarf when I was finished...it curled with the 'neat' side facing outward. I didn't knit the scarf directly, but used a damp towel over it on low-med heat. The edges still tend to curve a bit, but this technique seems to have worked just fine. There was no damage to the scarf.

Rice Stitch Scarf Link



 

Below, I will paste the instructions for knitting this scarf... in case the link is ever removed.


Tweedy Texture:

This Rice Stitch Scarf is a quick and easy knit that's full of texture, both from the stitch itself and the tweed yarn that's used. While it is a somewhat skinny scarf it's very long, so it should be able to keep anyone warm, no matter how tall they are.
This scarf would also be a great choice for either a male or female who needs to keep warm, depending on the color you choose.

Instructions:

  1. Cast on 19 stitches.
  2. Work in Rice Stitch (see below) for about 7 feet or to the length of your choice.
  3. Bind off and weave in ends.

Rice Stitch:

Row 1: Purl 1, *knit 1 through the back loop, purl 1. Repeat from * across.
Row 2: Knit.
Repeat these two rows.

No comments:

Post a Comment